Thread: "... on delete cascade ..."

Val Guest

"... on delete cascade ..."

Guys, could anyone tell me if MSSQL Server 7 has 'on delete cascade' option when creating a foreign key constraint or something similar to it. I'd really like MSSQL to remove all dependent records (child records) automatically from one table when I'm deleting a parent record from another table. I know that I can do it via trigger, but the FK constraint should be removed or disabled. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

deepak Guest

"... on delete cascade ..." (reply)

SQL Server supports only reference of foreign key values; cascading updates and deletes are not supported through the foreign key constraint mechanism.
    deepak.

------------
    Val at 12/8/99 5:36:38 PM

Guys, could anyone tell me if MSSQL Server 7 has 'on delete cascade' option when creating a foreign key constraint or something similar to it. I'd really like MSSQL to remove all dependent records (child records) automatically from one table when I'm deleting a parent record from another table. I know that I can do it via trigger, but the FK constraint should be removed or disabled. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Thanks for that.
    So, I guess I have to remove FKs and use triggers to look after data integrity?

------------
    deepak at 12/8/99 6:18:44 PM

SQL Server supports only reference of foreign key values; cascading updates and deletes are not supported through the foreign key constraint mechanism.
    deepak.

------------

deepak Guest

I don't understand why you need to remove foreign key constraints to delete the child records. You can delete them write away.

Deepak.

------------
    at 12/8/99 6:24:53 PM

Thanks for that.

------------

deepak.

------------

Val Guest

Because I'm getting this error:

Server: Msg 547, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    DELETE statement conflicted with COLUMN REFERENCE constraint
    'FK_2_1'. The conflict occurred in database 'Northwind',
    table 'VAL_2', column 'ID_LINK'. The statement has been terminated.

I have VAL_1 table (id_1 is PK) and VAL_2 (id_2 is PK and ID_LINK is FK ref. VAL_1(id_1).
    I'm trying to remove one record from VAL_1, which has children in VAL_2. I have a trigger on
    'delete' for VAL_1, which looks like this:

CREATE TRIGGER [trg_del_val_1] ON [val_1]
    FOR DELETE
    AS
    BEGIN
    DELETE val_2 FROM val_2 INNER JOIN deleted
    on val_2.id_link = deleted.id_1
    END

If I run the delete statement I'm getting that error. If I'm disabling the FK_2_1 constraint,
    everything is fine - the parent record from VAL_1 disappears, so do the children from VAL_2.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

------------
    deepak at 12/8/99 6:34:33 PM

I don't understand why you need to remove foreign key constraints to delete the child records. You can delete them write away.

Deepak.

------------

Thanks for that.

------------

deepak.

------------

Ray Miao Guest

You should delete from child first. SQL checks fkey constraint before firing trigger.

------------
    Val at 12/8/99 6:53:56 PM

Because I'm getting this error:

Server: Msg 547, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    DELETE statement conflicted with COLUMN REFERENCE constraint
    'FK_2_1'. The conflict occurred in database 'Northwind',
    table 'VAL_2', column 'ID_LINK'. The statement has been terminated.

I have VAL_1 table (id_1 is PK) and VAL_2 (id_2 is PK and ID_LINK is FK ref. VAL_1(id_1).
    I'm trying to remove one record from VAL_1, which has children in VAL_2. I have a trigger on
    'delete' for VAL_1, which looks like this:

CREATE TRIGGER [trg_del_val_1] ON [val_1]
    FOR DELETE
    AS
    BEGIN
    DELETE val_2 FROM val_2 INNER JOIN deleted
    on val_2.id_link = deleted.id_1
    END

If I run the delete statement I'm getting that error. If I'm disabling the FK_2_1 constraint,
    everything is fine - the parent record from VAL_1 disappears, so do the children from VAL_2.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

------------
    deepak at 12/8/99 6:34:33 PM

Deepak.

------------

Thanks for that.

------------

deepak.

------------